PASTORAL

Home>> PASTORAL>>Queen of the Apostles’ Church, Patna


Queen of the Apostles’ Church, Patna

Queen of the Apostles’ Church

Address

Catholic Church, Kurji
P.O. - Digha Ghat, Patna
Bihar – 800011, India
Ph.: (0612) 2262760
Website: www.queenoftheapostleskurji.com

About Church

The origin and development of the Catholic Church at Kurji, Patna Bihar, is bounded up with the founding of St. Michael’s School, Kurji. In 1855, Nov 29 a piece of property (7 bighas) was purchased at Kurji, by Capuchin Bishop Athanasius Zuber, Vicar-Apostolic of Patna. He then built a small church in the campus. The church, was named "Sacred Heart Church" began as a chapel for the school within the school campus with priest’s residence attached to it. The chapel served as a mass centre of Bankipur Parish for several decades. A new church structure in the southern campus of the school (across the road), at the present site, was built in 1975. Re-named as Queen of the Apostles' Church, Kurji, it was blessed in 1977 and became an independent parish in 1977. Looking back at the history, we find that, in 1921, Mar 21, the First American Jesuits arrived at Patna, and were put up at Kurji House. Fr. Thomas Kelly, SJ was the first Jesuit appointed to Kurji and became in-charge of Khagaul Church also. Besides, boys and staff at St. Michael’s, there were 20 Indian Christians and 10 other parishioners.

In 1977, Nov 20, the church was blessed by Bishop Augustine Wildermuth, SJ and named as "Queen of the Apostles’ Church". Grotto in St. Michael’s campus was shifted to the Church campus. Hartmann School was re-located in the same campus in 1977.

Fr. Anthony Panangatt of Patna Diocese became the first parish priest. He emphasized spiritual approach, gave less of material help. He started group retreats, Group Masses, First Communion and marriage preparations, organized charismatic renewal programmes. Subsequently, Frs. Gregory Thekkel, Devasia Chirayil, James Amakkatt, Henry Rebello, SJ, Pat Rebeiro, SJ, Jerome Durrack, SJ, Vincent Francis, SJ, Gregory Gomes, SJ, and Johnson Kelakath SJ, served as the parish priests. At Present Rev. Fr. Prashant Pius Michael, S.J. is the parish priest.

The seed of faith which was sown in 1855 has grown and has become a huge tree now. At present the parish has almost ten thousand and more catholic population, spread in about ten kilometers radius. Kurji parish has become the largest and the biggest parish of the Archdiocese of Patna.



©2013-2020 Patna Jesuit Society, Patna (India)
For Suggestions Mail To: pddpjs@gmail.com
Maintained By:Inno Groove Technologies

Total Visit: 928299
Today visit: 93
Month Visit: 93